Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Shakespeare's worst line
As I took my lunchtime stroll I passed the Royal Lyceum Theatre where they are putting on a performance of The Merchant Of Venice which reminded me that in the middle of one of the greatest speeches in the history of theatre is the worst line Shaky ever wrote. "If you tickle us will we not laugh". On either side of it you have great lines "If you prick us will we not bleed" and "If you wrong us will we not revenge" but tickle us.....not so much.
Now don't get me wrong you can't argue with it as a statement (although I've never actually tickled a Jew so can't swear to it empirically) and you certainly can't argue with the speech as a whole but somehow it just doesn't sit well within it.
So there it is my nominee for Shakespeare's worst line. If anyone else has a candidate feel free to put it forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home